Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom and Chris!

Today would have been my mom's 77th birthday! She has been gone from me for 10 years now. It didn't seem that long ago. Mother's day is my hardest day still. You'd think after all this time, feelings would ease. I've lost my mother-in-law too and my kids miss her also. I wish my younger kids would have gotten to know my mom better. The thing I miss the most is hearing my mom call my name. You should have heard her call me, sometimes the tone could scare me to death other times it would be softer and I'd wonder wrong. I also miss her playing the piano. She played by ear, so all her hymns would be played with different feeling to them. She was very good I thought. Today I didn't go to the cemetary, but I went to visit my aunt Lois, one her sister-in-laws, and I took my aunt Eva with me. My cousin Carolyn got us all lunch and it was a very pleasant afternoon. My aunt Eva and my mom were very close. I hope I did okay today. I love you mom.
And on a lighter note, today is my sister-inlaws birthday! I always remember Chris's birthday because it goes along with my mom's. My mom was very instrumental in setting my brother, Pete, up with Chris! They have the best story of their dating! I will let her blog about it and hope she tells about the movies and popcorn one. Its my favorite! Love you Chris :)

3 comments:

Kailee Higgins said...

I miss Nana so much too. I always remember hiding and playing in her house. Sometimes I drive by for memories. Also I love the fact that she setup my parents!!! I love those stories :)

Christine said...

Thanks Andie! Yep, April 21st is THE birthday to have... We miss her too, and I think you celebrated her special day in the perfect way. She spied me in church exactly 23 years ago and set out to fix me up with your favorite brother (a wild six weeks)... have I ever mentioned that I LOVE her for that! Here we are almost 23 years later... yep she had the gift. I have always told my kids that they simply cannot choose a spouse that their Nana doesn't approve of. Somehow they will know...

Shawneen said...

I miss her too. I am glad that I got to go up to Alaska and spend quality time just with her and Tata. I will never forget when i was there how she wanted to make sure Tata could see the fire works from his window that we were doing in the backyard. He was sick at the time and it showed me just how much she cared.